Help needed to navigate around the application

Mar 1, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Hi,

The workflow of the application is not immediately intuitive to me.  Here is what I have so far:

• Application defaults to the Connection tab
  • I select the Server in the drop-down list
  • I double-click on the Project listed (I initially thought a single-click would work)
  • It immediately switches over to the WI Query tab
  • I double-click a query from My Queries list and get a Query Parameters window that says '@me' and an empty field.  I'm sure what to do at this point.
  • I double-click a different query and it populates the Query Results.

Why does double-clicking different queries respond differently?

Is it possible to have a status indicator, so I know the application is doing something when I perform a user action?  Many thanks!

Coordinator
Mar 2, 2010 at 4:22 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Mar 2, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Hi skim, thanks for trying out WI Assistant.

1. App flow is not intuitive: I agree that the flow needs some help.  Maybe some buttons that will allow you to select the currently highlighted item.  I have copied your post to a work item.  (However, since I am the sole developer and it is just a "for fun" program, it may be a while before I fix that.)
  2. Query Parameters:  The @me you are seeing is a parameter to your query.  May queries are person specific.  In that case it needs to know who you are so it can filter the results (you need you enter your full TFS user name).  When this query is run in TFS it gets filled in automatically (and WI Assistant may do that too, eventually).   Most queries have the @project parameter.  I can fill that in because I know the project you selected.  Currently any other parameters must be filled in manually. 
  3. Status Indicator: The actions that I found to be long running (moving and linking items) should have a wait indicator (a rotating circle of dots).  I may eventually expand that to other parts of the app.  (Though for me, the other parts of the app did not take very long to run.)

Thanks again for trying out WI Assistant and for your feed back.