Doesn't move items

Mar 1, 2010 at 2:14 PM

I have used this to try to move some test bugs from one TFS project to another.  Both projects are using the same template (a custom template based on the MS Agile template).   Everything looks like it is working and there are no errors, but in the end nothing changes.  The bugs are still in their original project.  I can't tell that anything has happened.

The only thing I have noticed that is different from the walkthru is that when I press the 'Select Iteration' button, I get 'Project/Iteration' instead of 'Project/Area/Iteration'.  My Areas are different between the projects. 

Is there a way (some kind of logging) to tell why this is not working?

Coordinator
Mar 1, 2010 at 4:02 PM

Hmmmm, not sure why this is not working for you.

Here are two things to try:

WI Assistant was created and tested using the Scrum For Team System template (though I tried to make it as template agnostic as I could).  There are 2 xml files that you may need to edit to get it to work for you.  They are:

  1. StateTransitionInfo.xml - Used to denote what the state of a "Moved" workitem is.  (The item left behind will be set to this state.)  Also, if there is not a direct transition to this state you need to setup a transition path.  (For example in Scrum for Team System you can't go from Done to Deleted.)  You can setup different transitions for different projects and a "Default" transition that will be used when no specific project setting is found.
  2. FieldsToNotMove.xml - Used to say which columns will not have a copy attempted on them (for example ExternalLinkCount is a calculated value and cannot be set directly

I don't know that this will fix the issue you are seeing.  (I tried it with a bad StateTransistionInfo.xml file and it did not fail to copy (just failed to move states).) 

I plan to begin development of my TFS 2010 version before too long and I should have access to other templates to test against.  If updating the xml files does not fix it for you I may be able to find the bug when testing against some different TFS 2010 templates.

Sorry for the bug!

Coordinator
Mar 1, 2010 at 4:03 PM

And I clearly need to add in some logging to help find issues like this.

Coordinator
Mar 1, 2010 at 4:03 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Mar 1, 2010 at 4:04 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.